Welcome

Welcome to Creative Homeschool.
I have been a home school parent of two boys for 8 years. Currently in 2011 we are doing 6th and 8th grade work. I do get asked from time to time to share some of the online resources
I have discovered as well as some of my own simple ideas
about how to make home schooling fun and creative.
Hope you will find this blog helpful.
Blessings, Margot

Monday, October 13, 2008

My kids did not come with an owners manual!

When you take a trip or a journey it is and experience that is individual to each person. We are each created so uniquely and yet in some ways we are so much the same.
This is true of home schooling journeys as well our particular journey may not look at all like yours. I have found that I have learned so much just reading how others approach home schooling. One of the things I have noticed is that I have the freedom to experiment, if something is not effective we do something else.

One example for us is math, my younger child is currently 1 grade ahead in math and has set goals to complete that particular 3rd grade math book by January. My older child is currently 2 grades behind. We finally found a math book series that is working for him. Will he catch up - you bet. While he may lag behind currently in Math he is far advanced in his reading and writing skills. We have the flexibility to adjust if something is not working.

I think one of the things I hear most from people is a fear that they will mess up their child if they home school. God commanded us as parents to train up our children. He did not say be sure you send them to the best schools. He said to train them as you sit and as you rise and as you walk along the way. If we take the time to know our children God will show us and help us have the tools and resources to train them up in his ways to fulfill his particular purposes for their live.
This is a job that requires faith, patience, trust and a heart secure and at peace that God will give you everything you need to do what He has called you to do. It is clear that he wants parents to train up their children so it follows that he will give parents what they need to train up their particular children.

If I were to encourage you to do one thing it would be to pray and seek the Lord to understand his vision for your family and each child in your care. If we will take the time to listen, to tune out the clamor He longs to speak to you, He longs to lead you.
You don't need to be afraid. When my first child was first born, I did not know much about how to be a parent. I learned how to change diapers and fix boo boos with a kiss, to know how to understand my child even before he could speak. Each year brings new challenges but I can look back and see that God has helped me every step of the way - he will not abandon me now.

Know that He loves you and your children. He has a plan for you and it is good. Take the time to get to know his voice and his word, to pray and to listen. All the text books in the world will not do as much for a child as parents who trust in Jesus.
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things (even how to train your child) will be added unto you.

Your kids did not come with an owners manual - who needs the owners manual when you have the creator working right beside you every step of the way.

No comments: